Why I Pre-Wash my Fabric - Part 2

Greetings! I made this little quilt with my niece on Monday for her 7th birthday. My sewing machine is still away, hopefully being fixed up, but I was lucky enough to borrow my Mum's sewing machine for the occasion. While we were making it I remembered that I was going to do a post on why else I pre-wash my fabric. (The first post is here.)

The little quilt, fresh out of the washing machine.
You see, when we were pressing the pieces, there was a smell. Not too overpowering while making such a little quilt, but not particularly nice. I think it must be from the chemicals that are used to treat the fabric in the manufacturing process, I don't know. It's something I notice whenever I use pre-cuts, which are the only fabrics I don't pre-wash. After a while I get a headache from it. I also find that I get sore eyes, and the skin on my hands can become irritated (which also happens when I handle new fabric purchases when I get them home).

Now, I have a sensitive nose, and sensitive skin, so this probably doesn't happen to everyone. For me though, it's definitely reason enough to pre-wash my fabric. Actually, I'm seriously contemplating pre-washing my pre-cuts now too.

Do you ever experience the same thing? Craftsy have a blog post on the subject, here. It's interesting to read through the comments at the end and see what people have to say on the matter.

Bye for now,

Hope x

P.S. By the way, the fabric we used is Domestic Bliss by Liz Scott for Moda. I'm not sure about the purple - there's nothing on the selvedge, and I've had it for years.

Comments

Popular Posts