My next block in the Farmer's Wife Sampler is number 65 - Peaceful Hours. I completed this block in about four sittings over several days. I wasn't feeling the best so I did a little here and there when I felt up to the effort. I'm pleased enough with the result, but it wasn't all smooth sailing.
What threw the process was not stopping to think about which way to press the seams before I started. When it came time to sew the middle two units of the top row to each other, I found that the seams would not sit nicely so I went back and re-pressed the seams. This meant a bit of unpicking, but it was completely worth it to get a flatter finish. I ended up pressing the seams so that I could 'spin' them, which worked quite well.
I did have a bit of trouble with the points after the re-press, but I'm thrilled with most of them and happy enough with the rest, so that's ok. I do like to aim for as close to 'perfect' as I can get, but I'm learning to let it go when I can't get as close as I'd like after a couple of tries. As you can see, I pressed some seams to the side and some open, as well as spinning some. Whatever works best to give the right size and a flatter finish is generally what I do.
It has been lovely getting back into this project. The sewing is fun, but I think that I'm most happy about playing with the gorgeous Rose Parade fabrics again. It's still my favourite line of fabric.
Bye for now,